Monday, May 27, 2013

Upcycled Rainbow Romper

I love a successful upcycled outfit! Especially one that you can barely tell was upcycled from something old! This rainbow romper is one that could be chalked into that category, I think! In a flurry of excitement and anticipation, I completely forgot to take a picture of the before: just a simple Old Navy rainbow-striped knit sundress that I've had for 6+ years and couldn't bring myself to donate because I loved the striped print too much. And now that I'm on a roll with this upcycling/refashioning thing, I thought I'd give it another go and see what happens.

I love rompers in the summer time and so when I dug the dress out of my "To Upcycle" bag, I immediately envisioned a romper. Not just any romper, but a bubble romper. I'm loving the bubble shorts- skirts- tops trend right now. It's adorable and comfortable and very easy to achieve with a little elastic.



Rainbow stripes + romper + bubble silhouette= uber cute, right? Throw in some Photoshop doodles and it's instant eye candy for all to enjoy! =)


Here's a back view of the romper. Same as the front, minus the rosette. The pink bodice is a ribbed knit fabric that I found at the Goodwill. I think I got about two yards worth for $3...I love my local Goodwill- someone's always donating awesome fabric there!

I simply cut an unfinished strip of the pink knit to make a quick sash for her tiny waist. The pink knit is stretchy enough for her to just open the neckline and step into like a skirt. I love stretchy fabric- no buttons or zippers to deal with, right???

Peek-a-boo! To be honest, she hated the elastic at the hem of the shorts. I don't know why! They're not too tight but she kept wanting to pull them down to her knees. That would've ruined the whole bubble effect I was going for! She knows all about the bubble effect- she loooves her bubble skirts so I don't exactly know why she didn't like the bubble shorts. But anyway- she's adorable in this romper and she'll wear it AT LEAST once more this summer before it gets passed down to a younger cousin. That's what I'm hoping for anyway! 

Now I really need to get working on stuff for my boys! I recently went through all the kids' clothes and realized my baby boy only has three pairs of shorts for summer! That might be enough for older kids but babies are messy and I don't want to be doing laundry when I could be outside enjoying some warm weather! Luckily, dad had some old stuff he was going to donate and I snuck some stuff out of his pile to upcycle for junior. I'll show you what I made with those another time! 


Joined the link party at Feather's Flight blog! Go check out all the other handmade stuff- so inspiring!
Linked up to Sew Can Do's Monday link party.
Find me here at Create.Craft.Love's link party!
Find me here, as well as hundreds of other awesome upcycles!




Follow on Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. That romper is adorable! I love the colors and that it was a refashioned from a dress! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I look forward to more refashioning! I don't even buy clothes for my daughter anymore!

      Delete
  2. So sweet!!! The fabric looks so soft! I love refashioning!

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!