Friday, July 19, 2013

KCW Day 6: Summer Beauty Romper


I'm so excited about today's project! I worked completely with knits and it wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be and it turned out great! In fact, it is now K's favorite mommy-made outfit even though it has a lot of blue in it. I think that little band of hot pink at the waist did the trick, haha!


She is such  a lovely, cooperative, professional model- I could not be prouder!


 I think she just liked getting her hair done and a little lip gloss on her lips.


And having a fun new outfit didn't hurt either!


I free-hand drafted the pattern for the bodice using K's measurements and the shorts were from a pattern called "Anyday Banded Shorts" from Create and Delegate. Instead of an elastic waistband, I created two inverted pleats on the front side of the shorts and this brought the shorts down to the exact size I needed for K. Then I just sewed on the pink ribbed knit waistband and attached all of it to the bodice.


I used a thrifted hot pink rib knit as a waistband and the floral knit is from Girl Charlee fabrics, from their Vintage Revival collection. The striped fabric is also from Girl Charlee- yes, I shop there a lot! I love their prices and their beautiful selection of knits!


The vertical ruffles are different from the usual ruffles and K loves them. And I just love the contrast between the stripes and floral! If only I had had polka dots too, I totally would've thrown that in there somewhere as well! Haha- ok, maybe not. 


She's such a great little model, isn't she?


She strikes a pose on her own without any encouragement from me now. Is it just the outfit, I wonder? 

And with that, KCWC day 6 is complete! Yaaay! Just two days left and then I gotta start thinking about fall wardrobes already! I'm actually kind of excited about that! I think my kids have got quite a summer wardrobe already. Hmm..which makes me wonder what the heck I'm gonna do for tomorrow?!


10 comments:

  1. The outfit is adorable. The floral and stripe fabrics look great together. I just discovered your blog, and I really like it! I am your new follower on Bloglovin. http://olga-kidapproved.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga, thanks for following! I'll come check out your blog as soon as I'm done here! Hope you're having a fantastic weekend!

      Delete
  2. Very cute outfit. I love pattern mixing! Cute pose at the end there, she is a style blogger in the making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleks! She is definitely enjoying her model status!

      Delete
  3. You have some serious sewing skills... this is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with your color and pattern coordination! It's so fun and happy! I love this romper!
    (I love your new header by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! My header is much more "me" so I love it too!

      Delete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!