Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Mod Tinny Jumper: A Flip This Pattern Series from FrancesSuzanne


I'm not gonna lie- I love this flip more than the first one. This was what I had originally envisioned when I was thinking about how I'd like to flip the Tinny dress pattern from StraightGrain for FrancesSuzanne's Flip This Pattern series. Well...mostly anyway! I wanted to make a jumpsuit with long bell bottom pant legs but the vintage fabric I used is rather overwhelming and I thought it would be too much. And it's also very humid and hot outside and I knew K wouldn't want to wear it even for a few minutes!


Of course, I already knew she'd object to the fabric. Not an ounce of pink, purple or red in sight! You should have seen her crestfallen face when I told her which fabric I was going to use for her newest outfit. Haha- she did not look as happy as she does in these pictures! Which makes her a pretty fantastic model, eh?


But she looks ADORABLE in it, doesn't she?! 
 I loooove the vintage style of the Tinny and I used the  asymmetrical collar and notched sleeve cuffs because they fit the mod-style I was going for. She even got a hair trim to complete the look.


I simply added wide-legged pleated shorts to the original top instead of a skirt and ta-da: a mod jumper that's kind of cool, right? And in cool weather, a pair of cable leggings/stockings can be layered underneath with some ankle boots and it would be sooo darn cute! (I really hope she decides to keep this one!) Oh yeah- lets not forget about the little pocket on the bodice that I added as a little detail! It was the perfect little accessory to decorate the bodice without overwhelming it.


I think it was all about the fabric though. I found the orange and sky blue plaid fabric at the thrift store and I paired it with some blue chambray that I had in my stash. I enjoy mixing and matching old and new fabrics to get the effect I'm looking to achieve and this marriage between old and new worked out great this time!


Before we went out for photos, I felt like the outfit was missing something. The waist seemed kind of bare and gaped open widely around her one-handspan waist. So I grabbed one of my braided belts and wrapped it around her TWICE and it fit perfectly! I will definitely need to add belt loops to it now because I love how it looks.



Yep- definitely needs some belt loops! 


And yes, this is a new fav for me! I know she'd rather see it in a different color scheme but I'll probably end up giving this outfit away pretty soon and making another one in her favorite colors. But yes, this definitely fulfills that vision I had and now I can finally move on to other sewing projects!

15 comments:

  1. Cute idea, I like the plaid with the solid fabric to break up the busyness & I love how you accented the outfit with the leather braided belt.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very retro!! I think you pulled it off marvelously. Based on these photos, you'd wouldn't suspect that someone wasn't keen on the outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha- thank you! She is definitely not in love with the color but she likes the jumper itself! Will be making the actual dress version in the prettiest pink fabric I can find to make it up to her and for being such a grand model! =)
      -Julia @ Handicraftiness

      Delete
  3. Such a cute flip!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative, this is adorable! I have several flips rolling around in my head but I'm starting to think I may not have enough time in this month to get any of them done!! :(
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I was so looking forward to seeing your flip! I was inspired by your Roller Skate dress flips and that's why I joined in this month! =)

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, this is a brilliant flip! I love the idea of turning it into a jumper, and your fabric choice, of course. I already loved your first flip, but this one is even more stunning! Thank you so much for using my pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, An! I looove this pattern and can't wait to just make the actual dress for my daughter!

      Delete
  6. I think you should go for it, Amy! I'd love to see your version! Making a two-piece is brilliant for a baby and I definitely love paper bag shorts! Please let me know when you complete your version! =)
    -Julia @Handicraftiness

    ReplyDelete
  7. This flip looks terrific! Love the mod look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you flipped the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable! And the belt is the perfect way to cinch the waist. The pocket is a great addition and fits the outfit style spot on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!